So you want to be a Triathlete?
Tried and Tested Tips from RP’s Top Triathletes
A sound mind and body is something that you have to consistently work on if you are to seriously take part in the world of triathlon. Mental and physical endurance, after all, is of utmost importance in overcoming the challenges of the sport that involves swimming, cycling, and running in long and arduous distances.
Three of the country’s top triathletes share their insights into the demanding sport: Frank Lacson, Lezette Albarote-Treseno, and Brian Borling. All three members of Team Herbalife have been competing in the top triathlon events in the country- and have medals and honors to their name.
In the recent Ironman 70.3 triathlon in Cebu, in fact, they all had podium finishes. Albarote-Treseno placed first in the 40-44 age group category, declared Fastest Filipina Age Grouper, and won the 3rd Gatorade Bolt Award. Borlingan placed 3rd in the 25-29 age group category. Lacson likewise copped a third place finish in the 50-54 age group category.
Lacson is considered as one of the pioneers of triathlon in the Philippines, having engaged in the sport even before its popularity in the country. Often referred to as the country’s “Grand Daddy” of triathlon, he has been competing for over 30 years and has the honor of being the first Filipino to compete in a triathlon event overseas.
Forty-year-old Albarote-Treseno is the fastest Filipina Age Grouper in the Ironman competition for two years running. She is wife, mom, and career woman who is also one of the most passionate athletes of the sport.
Borling, meanwhile, is Fastest Filipino Age Grouper in the Ironman competition last year. The 28-year-old has represented the country in international triathlon events.
If you plan to get into this high-endurance sport, Lacson, Borling and Alborete-Treseno, who incidentally are all members of the Herbalife Triathlon Team, have these tips to becoming a strong contender in this sport:
- Work towards a fit mind and body. “Have a strong and willing desire to be at your fittest and best shape ever,” Lacson says. He believes that preparing for the race is of vital importance in a triathlete event. “Focus not only on the race, but also on the journey leading to it,” Borling adds.
- Prepare for pre- and post-race logistics. Lacson advises would-be triathletes to immerse themselves in training days, weeks, or even months ahead of the competition. He points out that rigorous training and having the proper nutrition help a lot during one’s preparation for a race.
- Feed your muscles. “Endurance sports such as triathlons demand good nutrition to fuel training and a good recovery drink as well to help regain strength and ‘feed’ the muscles that have have been worn out. As much as I take the sports seriously, I equally give importance to my nutrition. It’s a big factor in thriving and eventually triumphing in this sport,” Albarote-Treseno says.
- Have a good nutritional plan. All three athletes cannot emphasize enough the importance of having a healthy diet in preparing for a competition.
- Boost your nutrition. “Plain table food is not enough to sustain long hours of training and then recover adequately to do more training,” Borling says. For their nutritional boost, the athletes rely on Herbalife products. Lacson takes the Formula 1 Nutritional Protein Shake, Formula 2 Vitamin and Mineral, Formula 3 Personalized Protein Powder, Herbalife24 Endurance, and Herbalife24 Formula 1 Sport, among others. Albarote-Treseno prefers Herbalife’s Fiber and Herb, Vitamin and Mineral, Cell Complex, Omega 3, Calcium, Formula 1, Personalized Protein Powder, and Herbalife24 Prolong in her daily nutritional intake. Borling counts on the Personalized Protein Powder, Herbalifeline, Fiber & Herbs, Cell Complex, Vitamin and Mineral, XtraCal, and Nightworks to give him the nutritional boost that he needs.
- Have a “recovery” plan as well. It’s not enough that you have the strength to take on the challenge, but also have enough energy to take on another leg or course. Herbalife, according to the three, got them covered after every competition or whenever they incur injuries after a game. They drink Formula 1 Shake, Vitamin and Mineral, Cell Complex, Omega 3, Calcium and NRG (Guarana tablets) to make sure their body replenishes what they’ve lost during the competition. Herbalife products facilitates immediate recovery because the products were developed to support cellular nutrition.
Herbalife is a global nutrition company that has been changing people’s lives with great products since 1980. Our nutrition, weight-management, energy and fitness and personal care products are available exclusively to and through dedicated Independent Herbalife Members in more than 90 countries. We are committed to fighting the worldwide problems of poor nutrition and obesity by offering high-quality products, one-on-one coaching with an Herbalife member and a community that inspires customers to live a healthy, active life.
We support the Herbalife Family Foundation (HFF) and its Casa Herbalife programs to help bring good nutrition to children in need. We also sponsor more than 190 world-class athletes, teams and events around the globe, including Cristiano Ronaldo, the LA Galaxy and champions in many other sports.
The company has over 7,800 employees worldwide, and its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: HLF) with net sales of $5 billion in 2014. To learn more visit Herbalife.com.